Progress Report #2

Can you believe it’s already been one week.

No, I’ve been slack and need to pick this up again. But alas, it’s been an eventful few weeks. I had completed all my subculturing, submitted a manuscript, gotten my manuscript rejected, started my proposal, went to the wedding of one of my favourite people, and chucked out almost a quarter of my subcultures due to a mite infestation.

And here I thought I’d left the mites behind since leaving the greenhouse. But nope. No luck.

image

But it’s not all doom and gloom.

On the plus side, I’m fair certain I’ve gotten at least an analogue for all the cultures I’ve made. And means less PCR samples. But minus side. Maybe I lost a few.

Which brings me to PCR. Last time I did that, I was in my second year doing a genetics course. Of course all I rememeber/took from the course was how to characterise Drosophila melanogaster bits under a microscope. But the skill I mainly developed was using just the right amount of pressure to anaesthetise the flies on ice and not turn them into fly putty. All this meant that I hadn’t the foggiest idea how to PCR.

Though I’ve been comforted with the fact that someone will be walking me (holding my hand) through the motions.

I mean there’s definitely a limit to how badly I can screw up PCR right.

Who knows. Maybe giving myself a sixth finger won’t be too bad.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s